Saturday, March 22, 2008

Representatives Need to Be Educated

This week, I arranged a coffee date with my state representative and three other parents about special needs legislation for Missouri. Bryce's Law, as it is known as, is great legislation that has seen tremendous success in other states. Unfortunately, I have read some disturbing articles that do not tell the truth about it. The opponents of this bill either have been brainwashed, do not know about it, or have never been in the shoes of a parent like myself. I am a proud parent of a 5 year old little girl who has autism. She is very sweet and bright, but needs some extra guidance and services. She has an IEP, however, the school she goes to does not only not give her everything promised on her IEP; they also do not have the potential to give her what she needs. The school is just not equipped for it.


However, there are no other schools that we can afford. I can say all of this for many other parents across the state I have spoken with. This brings me to my meeting with our state rep. He seemed unsure of how he would vote on this matter, although at the end of the discussion, I think he had realized this legislation is needed, worthwhile, and would not only help the children but also the public schools. First off, he was afraid it would drain money from the public schools. Actually, it would help public schools because it could take a child who may be very expensive to educate and place them in a school that can do a better job. It will not cost anything as the scholarships are paid for by private donors. In fact, in Florida, they have seen savings of millions of dollars because of this program.


Secondly, he was afraid children without special needs could somehow sneak into the program. I explained to him this would not happen because only children with IEPs are eligible for the scholarships. As any parent knows who has been through the IEP process, it is not an easy task to get one.


Finally, he was concerned that if the state were somehow involved with paying for children to attend private schools, the government would be able to start controlling those private schools. I assured him this was not possible!


After the coffee, he told me he had learned so many things that he did not know before. He was quite grateful to have had the opportunity to speak with us and grateful he learned the truth. Then, he promised me a yes vote! Now, if any other parents can meet with your legislators, please do. The time is now to make sure this passes. Even if you do not have special needs children, show your support. This program will not cost taxpayers anything...unless they decide the donate to the program. It is a win-win situation!

No comments: