Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday Wishes?

Often this time of year, I wonder what to get my family for Christmas. On going phone calls with family members on what to get mom and dad and brothers and sisters keep me busy. This time of year it is easy to get swept up into the gift giving, and even though we always give back to the community, I still get pangs of guilt. I have had a great life and sure to have a great Christmas.
This morning, as I was contemplating what to get my sister and her children, I wondered about the kids who can't even get an education from the country that claims every child should get a good education and that every special needs child should get a free and appropriate public education. This is not always happening and it is a shame! My sister's children attend private schools and my brother's kids go to a great public school. However, there are so many kids who attend failing schools and are stuck there. Why should they be left in the dirt? Why should they be forced to attend failing schools just because of where they live? Shouldn't we strive to make all the schools excellent and get back to what our public education program was based on?
Here is my solution: allow parents to choose the schools their kids go to...public or private. We should encourage schools to thrive not encourage them to continue failing. If we keep giving money to the schools that continually fail, isn't that praising failure? If those kids decided to go elsewhere, the failing schools who have to improve! That is a natural law of competition.
Stores compete for the best product, and I decide where to shop, which is especially for this time of year. Shouldn't something as important as education be granted more freedoms?

No comments: